Do this on the first or second day…

Do this on the first or second day…

Doing a Viking Ocean cruise?

Here are two things to do on your first or second days:

1. Go down to the Explorer’s Desk on the first floor and have your “automatic” gratuity amount removed from your preferences on your account. This leaves you free to select the amount of your gratuity at the end of your trip. Note that this does not include the lounges/bars; those have a default 20 percent gratuity that cannot be changed. (edited June 6 for clarity–‘sorry!)
  2. Just past the Explorer’s Desk area is a tall shelving area. On the first day of the cruise, the port maps for all of the cities on your itinerary are set out. It seems that subsequent days only feature that day’s port maps. If you snag ’em all on the first day you don’t have to worry that they’ll run out later on (which I’d heard they do).

Note: The line at the desk can be long because it seems like the only place to have a myriad of questions answered–from room features (don’t even try calling Housekeeping; they never answer) to credit on your account. If you see it short, take the time right now to get your questions answered.

9 Responses to Do this on the first or second day…

1. Nancy says:

You are a wonderful writer! Enjoying your blog immensely, thanks!

2. Cruise Lover says:

Snazzy port maps – I’m impressed! Of course, I always bring my own, as I like extremely detailed ones!

3. So very,very, interesting!!!

4. Ruth says:

Thanks for the tips, and other information! One question, though: Is the tip amount specific to one area, or does it cover all employees? With past cruise lines, I’ve tipped the normal amount, which gets shared by all employees, including the people who drive the tender boats, swipe the cards at security, prepare the food, and clean the ship, etc. I usually then give a little extra to the people who I’ve been particularly impressed with – usually the stateroom attendant as a minimum, as they seem to be working long, hard days. If I take the tip off the bill, does that mean other staff members won’t receive any part of the tip, or does it just mean that I can specify a particular percentage later to be shared by alll? I know some people depend upon tips more than others, but many work behind the scenes and may deserve a tip just as much as the ones who I interact with more. Thanks.

Looking forward to more of your wonderful blog!

5. Jean says:

Thanks for the update. I just called Viking and they said that a gratuity of $14/pp per day will be automatically charged to my account. I am in a DV.

• ukalady says:

You’re right, Jean. That’s why we visited the Explorer’s Desk to have the “default” daily charge amount removed from our account. Note that *both* room occupants must request to have this removed; it seems to be based on the individual, not the stateroom.

Now we can decide at the end of the cruise how much to tip.

6. Cindy says:

We’re on the June 13 sailing. I’d love to know your tips for redecorating your stateroom since we also are in a Deluxe Veranda. I’m quite concerned about the lack of storage space. Thanks!

7. Sue Smith says:

Use the red maps to keep track of your daily photos. Just put the map on the bed each day, take a picture, and from then on you’ll have a record of the your daily photos.

• ukalady says:

Great idea, Sue. I also like to take photos of signs in museums/historical sites; they’re certainly not photos to “share” with others but they frequently have a lot of great info that you may not get when you’re there (or may not remember!).